Monday, February 11, 2013

Member Spotlight :: Melissa Feathers


Melissa Feathers

Owner, President and CEO  |  Well Organized Weddings
Melissa Feathers
Well Organized Weddings
Phone:  317 . 727 . 0678



Please "Like" on Facebook: 


  • What is your title and position at your current company?  I am the owner, president, CEO(choose which one you like the most, I can't decide what sounds the 'best')  Chief Bridal Consultant for Well Organized Weddings.  
  • What does your company do? How is it different than others like it?  Well Organized Weddings provides planning and coordination services for busy couples.  WOW differs from most wedding planning companies in a few ways:  1) I try to give perspective and a sense of calm to the wedding planning, and especially the wedding day.  I pride myself on being able to 'read' people and understand their unique situation and generally be able to determine quickly what is most important to them.  2) I ask a TON of questions.  My goal is to be able to answer any wedding day questions that arise as if the bride herself is speaking.  That can only be accomplished by asking questions that may or may not be in the book or on the checklist.  3)  I am able to analyze the wedding intricacies- family politics, bridal party dynamics, guest list dynamics, timeline logistics, vendor reputation, tendencies  & styles, etc.- and anticipate, remedy, & avoid potential problems and keep things smooth and drama-free.  I would say that my two best 'tried and true' professional attributes are my abilities to anticipate and foresee pitfalls directly followed by my fast, efficient non-panicked response and remedy of any actual emergencies.    
  • How many years have you been in the industry? I retired from pharmacy in Nov. 2010, and joined ABC in March 2011, formed Feathers Enterprises, LLC in August 2011, and officially launched Well Organized Weddings Jan. 1, 2012.  
  • What was your very first job? I was a medical transcriptionist and did other general clerical work at a nursing home.  A very grown-up first job!  But, my mother refused to let me work fast food or anywhere 'dangerous', so she somehow talked them in to giving me a chance.  
  • What lead you in into the event industry? My post-retirement soul-searching led me to a life coach who utilized an assessment system called "SIMA"- System for Identifying Motivated Abilities.  Through that experience, I came to learn that to be professionally fulfilled, my next career needed to not only utilize my detail-oriented and analytic abilities, but it also needed to simultaneously use and stimulate all of my senses, too.  The event industry, and for me, weddings in particular, bring together my need to hear, see, smell, taste, and touch my 'work' while also feeding my need for order and structure.  Plus, I'm a Sagittarius, so I LOVE a great party!!!  
  • Why did you decide to join ISES? I value the caliber and diversity of professionals that ISES brings together.  My experience at the 2012 Education Conference was powerful and I instinctively knew that to move and elevate my business to the next level, THESE are the professionals I need to continue to learn from, both personally and professionally.  And, I know a good deal when I see it, so when Jason Ryan was touting the 50%-off membership drive at a networking luncheon in November, I decided to take the plunge.  
  • What is your favorite thing about ISES? The enthusiasm and energy of this group is truly unparalleled.  Even as an industry 'newbie', I have been warmly received, encouraged, and accepted.  I am more appreciative of this kindness and humbled by this professionalism than I can express.   
  • What is your most memorable event? Hmmm....  Not many 'professional' events to choose from yet, so I'll go with the one that really IS the reason I'm doing what I'm doing now (even though it is the biggest cliche in the book)- my own wedding!   Why? Because I'm proud of what a great job I (somehow!) did!  There were a LOT of last minute curveballs- late April in Indiana, need I say more?  But we got through it, and have great pictures, memories, and tons of stories that still get brought out at each family holiday.  I'm now able to use it as my professional road map for finding my best fit clients and helping them create the best day of THEIR lives.  It's so cool!!!  
  • What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? I had Roux-N-Y Gastric Bypass surgery on December 12, 2007 and it saved my life.  
  • If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job? Being a psychologist.  If I  were mentally and emotionally equipped to be able to handle it AND if I didn't have to go back to school for another degree, I would do it in a heartbeat.  So, I guess I'll just 'play' armchair psychologist and be a wedding planner for now-  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers