Monday, August 20, 2012

Member Spotlight :: Akimee & Cathy of Akimee Designs

Akimee Yoon & Cathy Simmons
Co-Owners & Designers | Akimee Designs, LLC
Please "Like" on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Akimee.Cathy

What is your title and position at your current company?
Co-owners/Designers Akimee Yoon and Cathy Simmons of Akimee Designs LLC

What does your company do? How is it different than others like it?
Akimee Designs is a custom floral design company specializing in weddings, corporate events, fundraisers, parties and special occasions only. Our passion is creating one-of-a-kind designs tailored to each specific event. What we offer at Akimee Designs is the extra attention clients will receive during the design and execution process. We love when clients bring us interesting pieces or containers to use in their events, it really inspires us even more because the arrangements become even more personal. 

How many years have you been in the industry?
We have been in the floral industry for about 3 years designing individually.  We have worked together on many past events and always had fun doing so.  It was not until the beginning of this year we decided to make our business official and started to pursue our own floral design company.  It has been an exciting start, and we are enjoying all kinds of new experiences as we build our business.

What lead you in into the event industry?
What lead us to the event industry was just the amount of fun we had designing weddings and event work. The most thrilling part is being able to see the finished product come together all in one night. It is such a satisfying feeling to see our work displayed as a floral designer, and to see our clients' vision become a reality. We feel that is one of the best joys of being a part of the event industry.

Why did you decide to join ISES?
The reason we joined ISES is we wanted to be a part of the event industry community and become involved as much as we could  After doing some research ISES just stood out so much to us as being the event industry leading organization. Our experience so far with ISES has been great. Everyone we have encountered has been so welcoming and supportive. We are truly thrilled to be a part of this organization.

What is your most memorable event? Why?
The most memorable event was one of our first weddings. The part that made it so memorable was actually after the wedding was over. We went to the venue to do the tear down of the event and there we saw the bride and groom. When they saw us they immediately gave us a huge hug and told us they were so happy about the flowers and that they will always remember how special the flowers looked at their wedding. When you encounter a moment like that, it is a constant reminder of why we are in this business.

What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
Akimee:  One thing most people do not know about me is I'm actually a big homebody. It's funny that the line of work I'm in, is so focused on going out and doing events at all hours of the night. I think my favorite part about going out is coming home and immediately getting into my pajamas and finding a really bad movie on TV.

Cathy:  I'm the opposite.  If I could go out to eat for every meal for the rest of my life I would be ecstatic! I enjoy trying new places.  And I love seeing movies at the theater on the big screen. 

If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job?
Akimee:  I think my dream job would be to do the floral decor for a big movie or a tv show once in my life. I think it would be so cool to have that experience and just the gratifying feeling of saying to yourself "wow I really made that. "

Cathy:  I feel so fortunate to have created my dream job with a great partner.  If I wasn't doing this, I would have to do something involving travel so I could see all sorts of exciting places on my travel list!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers