Monday, August 6, 2012

Member Spotlight :: Chesia Torrence

Chesia Torrence
Owner & Operator | The Silver Centre Event Hall
Please "Like" on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/the.silver.centre

What is your title and position at your current company?
Owner/Operator at The Silver Centre Event Hall
What does your company do? How is it different than others like it? 
We are an event venue providing space to the community to celebrate life's greatest moments rather religious, corporate or social an an affordable hourly rate.  We are different than other event venue's as we assist in every aspect of the event, rather it benefits us or not, we allow outside catering, we are located in Lawrence, IN where there's no other business like us and we can accommodate event from 2-600.

How many years have you been in the industry?
I've been in the event planning business since 1999, but as a stand along commercial business we've only been open since May 2012!!

What was your very first job?
My very first job was a sales associate at Lazarus in Castleton Square.

What lead you in into the event industry? 
I have a passion for parties...always have.  I've always planned events for my friends and family until I realized people get paid for it!  Then I realized you could go to school for it!  It's been a wonderful blessing ever since.  My grandmother used to always tell me "You've found what you are supposed to be doing when it doesn't feel like work."  I absolutely love what I do.  Even when it's a 22 hour a day job!

Why did you decide to join ISES? 
I learned a lot about ISES from my professor Ms. Sherris Johnson when I was a student at Ivy Tech and I knew I wanted to be a part of such a great network where people think just like me!  I feel at home where people get  excited about pipe & drape and water bottle labels!  LOL!  

What are you looking to gain out of our ISES membership and how can we help you achieve that?
ISES is full of great event planners, vendors and business minds alike so I am hoping to network, learn and grow within the industry.  I would like The Silver Centre to host an ISES event or two, meet some awesome people and make new business relationships.  I would also like to be a part of the planning process for some of ISES' events.

What is your most memorable event? Why?
My most memorable event was a wedding for 350 I did in South Bend, IN.  That was my first "destination" event for such a large crowd and I didn't feel I was good enough, educated enough or experienced enough to pull off such a grand scale event.  It turned out magnificent!  The bride and groom still thank me to this day and this was 6 years ago!  I never let my fear show, I stayed confident although I was trembling on the inside and I pulled it off.  It was a weekend full of fun and I enjoyed every second of it.

What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? 
I secretively eat like a man.  Wait, I'm not even sure that's really a secret.  Ok, I have wine for breakfast on many occasions.  Nope, that's not a secret either.  Got it!  I am MORTIFIED of public speaking.  I sweat and shake and I feel like I'm about to pass out.

If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job? 
I don't know the correct term for this, but I'd love to be a business over-hauler/ re-doer/ makeover person.  I see things wrong with small businesses and I'd love for them to confide and trust in me to make it more successful and profitable.  Rather it be the physical location, the branding, the marketing, flawed business plans, or the complete package.  I love to do it all!!  With that said, let's hope MY business makes it out of it's first year so I don't have to re-do/ makeover my own!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers