Monday, August 27, 2012

Member Spotlight :: Clare Welage

Clare Welage
Owner | The Whimsical Whisk, Inc.

9130 B Otis Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46216  (open for pick-ups and appointments)
(317) 730-6802
 


What is your title and position at your current company? 
Clare Welage, Owner & Pastry Chef at The Whimsical Whisk, Inc.

What is your title and position at your current company? 
Owner & Pastry Chef for the Whimsical Whisk, Inc., a Dessert Revolution!

What does your company do?   
We make kids go “WOW” and feel special on their birthday; Hosts shine at their own party and weddings so special that guests, including the men, have been known to fight over the desserts.  We make custom cakes, cookies and pastries for retail, wholesale, local and national clients.

How is it different than others like it? 
We specialize in the Dessert Experience.  Every dessert I create and design has a focus- the customer. I live and breathe my work.  I am very passionate about creating and delivering a high quality dessert experience.  I started The Whimsical Whisk because I firmly believe that people deserve a much better product than what is commonly available. People aren’t average, so why should a dessert be average? Customers deserve products made from only high quality ingredients such as butter, whole eggs, sugar, and flour.  No part of an order comes from a mix, a box or the freezer, and never do I add or substitute margarine, Crisco or lard in any of my desserts.  We also don’t tack on miscellaneous set-up charges.  The customer pays for the product and delivery, if there is one and I don’t charge for weekend deliveries.  At The Whimsical Whisk, it is about YOU, so if you need me to deliver on weekends, I am there.


How many years have you been in the industry? 
Over 20 yrs.

What was your very first job?   
Model for Helen Wells Agency
 
 

What lead you in into the event industry? 
It is very rewarding to be a part of a special event celebrating a child’s birthday, a new baby, a dad, a graduation, new mom, wedding, anniversary etc. I feel honored that my desserts can be part of such events, and crafting a product that matches the specialness of these moments is the hallmark of what I do.   

Why did you decide to join ISES? 
I joined ISES because I wanted to reach more clients who were looking for that Dessert “WOW.” I joined because I wanted to be a part of more of life’s most memorable moments.

What is your most memorable event? Why?
About 4 years ago I received a request to make custom military medal cookies for a WWII veteran, who was finally going to receive his war medals in a special ceremony in Crown Point, IN. I recreated the 7 medals, one of which was Purple Heart, along with 300 military flags with the army insignia.  When Diane (it was her Uncle Dan, who was to be honored), came to pick up the order, she was full of emotions, it was as if I had handed her The American Flag.  Two days later, she called with a heart-felt “thank you,” sharing the sequence of the entire day and the heart clincher was that when her Uncle Dan received the war medals, he turned and gave them to his son and kept the cookie medals and flags because he wanted to take those to church to show everyone.  To this day, he still has the cookies in his top dresser drawer.   It was special because it was confirmation of the power a great dessert can have on someone and how it can connect and unite people.  That order was the beginning of a long lasting relationship with Diane and her family. 
 
What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?   
Next to having a love for desserts, I love animals- all kinds of animals.  When I was 12 I had a tarantula named Clyde.  Every week I went to the bait shop for meal worms and crickets, and for exercise we let him climb up the family-room walls.  When he died I put him a jar with formaldehyde- I still have him to this day.

If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job? 
I am in my dream job. I love being a Pastry Chef and creating amazing desserts for people.  Great memories are built around great food and desserts, and I am thankful to be a part of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers