Monday, January 7, 2013

Member Spotlight :: Kim King Smith


Kim King Smith

Principal  |  Kim King Smith Events  


Kim King Smith Events
Phone: 317 . 512 . 0172

    • Check out the website:


       ·  What is your title and position at your current company?
I am principal at Kim King Smith Events

     ·  What does your company do? How is it different than others like it?
We are an event management and bridal consulting company.  We coordinate and create events that help celebrate a special occasion or company venture. We partner with many other event professionals by referring them, using their services and promoting their expertise.  We consider ourselves the ”rock” for the client and our partners the “glue” to make their event or celebration the very best; something everyone remembers and is talking about long after. Our company differs from a lot of others in that we have a truly rural work ethic.  We work really hard to please our clients and our event partners.  We take possession of our client’s investment and really try to give them a great return in service and value.  We are different also since I am Indiana’s only Accredited Bridal Consultant recognized through the Association of Bridal Consultants and have just had my first best selling book published as Technical Editor for Wedding Planning for Dummies 3rd edition, released November 27, 2012
·  How many years have you been in the industry?
I have been in the industry for the past seven years, but actually have done parties and weddings since third grade.  Some of those weddings at recess were my most challenging; especially trying to get eight year old boys to stop playing tag and get “married” under a tree to someone they really didn’t want to. Coordination has simply been a part of my blood, my life, for as long as I can remember.  I love it!
·  What was your very first job?
My first job was selling/passing the Spencer Evening World newspaper in my little town of Gosport, ten miles away from where Sarah Hines grew up. Passing it door to door, I decided to double my “income” and pass the Indianapolis News newspaper too.  It was the afternoon edition of the Indianapolis Star. The News had a contest.  The person that sold the most new subscriptions received great prizes, including a bike.  I sold the newspaper to everyone in Gosport, 532 people, and won the statewide contest at age 12.  It was fun, but hard work.  I had two canvas bags I carried on my bike and around my neck peddling and passing both papers at the same time.  Needless to say though, I loved it!
·  What lead you in into the event industry?
I had been doing events for our community, school and non profits for years as a volunteer.  It was a passion and something I did very well.  After a stilnt with breast cancer, I knew I was given a second chance in life and better do something with it.  I decided to “go for it” and live my life long dream, Kim King Smith Events.  Never did I dream I would be doing weddings and have the many opportunities I have been blessed with.  It is so humbling and rewarding to be in our business; surrounded b y a multitude of amazing, talented individuals with energy that never stops!  I’ve thanked God many times for this great blessing.
·  Why did you decide to join ISES?
I really think being in a professional organizational is critical to a successful career.  I have an undergraduate and graduate degree from IU/Bloomington and value my education every day of my life!  I joined ISES because it gives me many opportunities to continually learn, to grow, to be in a professional environment, have a huge network of professionals to feed from and expects me to be my best as a professional.
·  What is your most memorable event? Why?
I really have two.  The first was my first wedding.  I had been taking beginning to advanced floral design classes with Pam Parker through Franklin College and was paired each week with a retired school counselor that was also a cancer survivor.  We talked each week about our families and I got to know hers well- even though I had never met them.  She developed cancer again and died.  Pam called and broke the news to me and told me that her daughter, whom I felt like I had known for years, (thank you God) was getting married.  Her dad, had just been diagnosed with cancer and may not make it to the wedding!  Imagine losing two parents in five months!!! Well, I jumped in immediately, called the girl, offered my services and began wedding planning within one hour!  It was in a very modest, rural, outdoor setting and had to be one of the most gorgeous days I will never forget!  As I began, of course I thought, what’s the difference between a wedding and an event except wedding cake plus a bride and groom??? Boy, I learned a LOT, but loved every minute.  I was never the same person again. I will never forget that day and her dad taking her down the aisle.  I’ll hold the moment in my heart forever.
My other most memorable event was an event I did for the Little Red Door Cancer Agency. I hadn’t “officially” started my business.  I had been recovering and taking treatment for my breast cancer, when my friend was diagnosed too. This was just in a matter of weeks! I was very upset and thought, “I will be damned that cancer will win this war and claim us!”  Before you know it, I met quite unexpectedly, a member of the Little Red Door Agency at the Junior League Holiday Mart I volunteered and decided we are having a fundraising event that will educate, inspire and help cancer patients in need.  The Little Red Door rep wasn’t sure how I could do it, but I was determined!  The war began!! I had two weeks to plan and market the walk, run and ride. It was my first and also the first for our rural community.   We had a very successful turn out.   We raised almost $10,000 and it became an annual event in my community.  Seeing so many people show up and the “ribbon” of many walkers streaming down the road made my heart race and my eyes tear.  We were winning the battle and cancer was not going to claim us again; at least not alone.
Doing events that make a difference in people’s lives is what I remember and enjoy the most.

·  What’s one thing most people don’t know about you?
I was selected as Technical Editor for the 3rd edition Wedding Planning for Dummies.  It was fun to work with the publishing company in editing/writing the book.  It was a great honor for me to be a part of this along with celebrity wedding planner, Marcy Blum.

·  If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job?
I would work for a marketing firm, promoting products and people in small business.  I love helping to make “David” conquer “Goliath”.  There are so many wonderful small businesses that never get the acclaim they should.  I would like to be part of a team that could help them realize their full potential, give them direction and get the recognition their teams and talents deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers