Monday, January 28, 2013

Member Spotlight :: Megan King


Megan King

Owner and Lead Photographer  |  Megelaine Images

Megan King
Megelaine Images
6173 Rosslyn Ave.
Indianapolis, IN  46220

Phone: 317 . 319 . 2055





    Megelaine Logo
  • What is your title and position at your current company?  Owner and lead photographer with Megelaine Images
  • What does your company do?  Wedding photojournalism is our focus, capturing wedding days in an authentic way that shows the couple's love and the people that are most important to them. How is it different than others like it?  We are a husband wife team who value the connection with the couple, creating a very personal experience and timeless imagery.
  • How many years have you been in the industry?  I've been a wedding photographer as my full time job since 2005, so I just finished my 8th season. I entered the industry as an assistant in 2001, just at the crossover between film and digital.
  • What was your very first job?  In the spring of 2001, I shot my first wedding as a second shooter. It was magical, a beautiful wedding in the countryside of Kentucky. A big white tent set up in the bride's parents yard with a live band, the ceremony down a path in the pasture to a country church. The groom and his family all were from England. The couple were both professors at Savannah College of Art and Design where I was considering attending at the time (I was 18).
  • What lead you in into the event industry? I fell in love with the story of weddings the first one I shot. At the time I was more in love with the art of photography and telling a story, than weddings themselves.
  • Why did you decide to join ISES?  Recommendations from a few industry friends, particularly fellow photographer Nate. I felt like it was a good opportunity to get to know other event professionals outside of the day of events.
  • What is your favorite thing about ISES? My favorite thing about ISES is the great connections I've been able to have with other members, not just on a networking level, but a true friend level. I've also enjoyed having a place to learn about the industry as it constantly is evolving and have a place to discuss topics that matter to my business.
  • What is your most memorable event? Why? There have been many memorable events, perhaps the most memorable would be the wedding we shot in Costa Rica. It wasn't booked as a destination wedding, but rather at the Columbia Club. However the bride was from Costa Rica and there were some Visa issues and a month before the wedding it got moved to her hometown in Costa Rica. We decided we were willing to go and it was an incredible adventure. It wasn't a luxury resort type of wedding. Well, we aren't Spanish speakers and the only ones who did speak English were the couple, her sister and one groomsman. The bride got ready at the sister's house, where she was finishing decorating the cake with fondant. The mass was all in Spanish, over an hour long in a non air conditioned building. I remember taking pictures before the reception and almost stepping on a lizard. The food was incredible, likely quite fresh from the family's ranch. Ladies were in high heels, everyone drinking lots of whiskey and tequila dancing the night away, yet never seemed intoxicated. Toward the end of the evening a Brazilian carnival broke out, including drums and fireworks inside the ballroom! By the end of the night we were exhausted and amazed at how incredible the celebration was for this sweet couple. As an added bonus we stayed a few extra days to explore the rainforest of Costa Rica.
  • What’s one thing most people don’t know about you? I actually grew up in a very small town and began my business while I was in college. Tim married into the industry.

  • If you were not in the event industry, what would be your dream job? I'm actually fortunate to spend a lot of time also being a mom, which is incredibly challenging at times but also full of very sweet moments. My heart and passions are in both being a mom and photographing weddings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers